Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
M.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
B.S., Chemical Engineering, University of California, San Diego
- Process Systems Engineering
- Product Design
- Chemical Process Design
Abedin, F., Ye, Q., Song, L., Ge, X., Camarda, K. V, & Spencer, P. (in press). Effect of Partition of Photo-Initiator Components and Addition of Iodonium Salt on the Photopolymerization of Phase-Separated Dental Adhesive . JOM The Journal of the Minerals, Metals and Materials Society.
Anwar, R., Camarda, K. V, & Kieweg, S. (in press). Mathematical Model of Microbicidal Flow Dynamics and Optimization of Rheological Properties for Intra-vaginal Drug Delivery: Role of Tissue Mechanics and Fluid Rheology . Jouranl of Biomechanics.
Abedin, F., Spencer, P., Ye, Q., & Camarda, K. (in press). Computational molecular design of water compatible dentin adhesive system. Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Process Systems Engineering, Copenhagen, Denmark, May 2015. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier.
Tarar, H., Roughton, B. C, & Camarda, K. V (2014). Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Foundations of Computer-Aided Process Design – FOCAPD 2014. Computers and Chemical Engineering Elsevier.
Roughton, B. C., Topp, E. M., & Camarda, K. V. (2012). Use of Glass Transitions in Carbohydrate Excipient Design for Lyophilized Protein Formulations. Computers and Chemical Engineering, 36, 208-216.
Abedin, F., Ye, Q., Spencer, P. & Camarda, K. (11/10/2015). Computer-Aided Molecular Design of Water Compatible Visible Light Photosensitizer for Dental Applications . AIChE Annual Meeting 2015. Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Boone, K., Tamerler, C. & Camarda, K. (11/18/2014). De Novo Multifunctional Peptide Design Using Sequence Similarity Metrics. AIChE Annual Meeting 2014. Atlanta, Georgia
- BS Chemical Engineering, University of California, San Diego, 1990
- MS Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1994
- PhD, Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1997
Kyle Camarda's research focuses mainly on the use of high-performance computers to solve optimization problems in product design, process design and bioinformatics. In the search for new pharmaceuticals, polymers, or fuel additives, the traditional trial-and-error approach is being supplanted by a new technique which uses computers to suggest compounds which are promising before any synthesis or testing is performed. Using this method, called Computational Molecular Design, researchers in this group first aim to predict important properties of novel molecules. Once properties can be predicted, optimization problems are formulated and solved which result in candidate molecules which are likely to have all of the physical property values desired for the new product. Computational molecular design is being applied to the search for new pharmaceutical drug formulations, novel catalytic materials, polymer adhesives, and many other molecular systems. The group is also interested in applying novel optimization techniques, including Tabu search and genetic algorithms, to the flux analysis of metabolic networks, and in parallel computing applied to chemical engineering optimization problems.
A second line of research focuses on the use of new computing and networking technology to improve chemical engineering research and communications. Using the Access Grid Node at the Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering at the University of Kansas, researchers in this group use live video and audio conferencing to hold seminars, meetings and discussions over the internet. Camarda is also interested in integrating chemical engineering tools, such as process simulators, within Access Grid technology to allow for multi-site, multi-user design research.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- S. M. Thompson, S. Sinha, E. M. Topp and K. V. Camarda, "Molecular Design Approach to Peptide Drug Stabilization", Molecular Simulation, 32, 291-295 (2006)
- Y. He, W. Huang, K.V. Camarda, and K. Bishop, "Preconditioning for the Dynamic Simulation of Reaction-Transport Systems", Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 44(15) 5680-5690 (2005).
- K.V. Camarda and P. Sunderesan, "Computer Aided Molecular Design of Value-Added Soybean Oil Products", Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 44(12) 4361-4367 (2005).
- S. Chavali, B. Lin, D. C. Miller and K V. Camarda, "Environmentally-benign Transition-metal Catalyst Design Using Optimization Techniques", Comp. Chem. Eng., 28, 605-611(2004).
- S. S. Siddhaye, K. V. Camarda, M. Z. Southard, and E. Topp, "Pharmaceutical Product Design Using Combinatorial Optimization", Comp. Chem. Eng., 28, 425-434 (2004).
- B. Lin, S. Chavali, K. Camarda and D.C. Miller, Using Tabu Search to Solve MINLP Problems for PSE, In Process Systems Engineering 2003 (Proceedings of the Eighth International Symposium on Process Systems Engineering, KunMing, China) , 541-546., Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, (2003).
- S. Siddhaye, K. V. Camarda, E. Topp and M. Z. Southard, "Design of Novel Pharmaceutical Products via Combinatorial Optimization", Comp. Chem. Eng., 24, 701-704 (2000).
- K. V. Camarda, B. W. Bonnell, C. D. Maranas and R. Nagarajan, "Design of Surfactant Solutions with Optimal Macroscopic Properties", Comp. Chem. Eng. Supp., S467-S470 (1999).
- K. V. Camarda and C. D. Maranas, "Optimization in Polymer Design using Connectivity Indices", Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., # 38, 1884-1892 (1999).